Great Opportunity for Haiku Agritourism Business on Maui North Shore Property
With over 2.5 acres in Haiku on the North Shore of Maui, this is a wonderful boutique property with ocean views from the existing 2 bedroom home (MLS# 351722). Approximately 12.5 miles from the Kahului airport, this is an incredible property that has a wide variety of agritourism or eco-tourism opportunities.
It had been operating as a successful business with educational and botanical tours through a fabulous botanical garden, a breathtaking tropical rain-forest, and some of the best preserved historical sites of the Royal Io’i (taro) walls in the State.
There is a waterfall and pool that border the property. This is the first year round waterfall on the way to Hana from the Central Maui area. It is like going to Hana without the drive.
A Horticulturist Paradise
With a large variety of rare and valuable flora, this property is a horticulturist paradise. The following plants can be found on this property:
- Fabulous Botanical Gardens including rare prehistoric giant ferns with serene walking paths that access all areas of the estate
- Fruit Trees: Banana, Coconut, Papaya, Guava, Lilikoi, Avocado, Coffee and Star Fruit
- A Towering Mango Grove Rainforest reaching heights of 80-90 feet tall (just magnificent)
The ancient Io’i walls of the King Kalakaua’s gardens and the Kings trails are documented by the Department of Land and Natural Resources stating they are some of the best preserved in the State. There also is an ancient cave and tunnel on the property, and the property is bordered on three sides by state land for that extra privacy.
Established Agritourism Businesses
This property had an ongoing business, providing guided educational and botanical tours, a butterfly pavilion, a full line of ginger products and a gift shop. The existing business plans may be included with sale, which is a huge time saving step in getting the business started again. The seller also would be open to discussion to assist the new buyers to act as a consultant.
Possible Agritourism Businesses
There are too many possible business opportunities to list, but some options could be to:
- Promote and support the educational agricultural culinary and cultural theme tours
- Historical and botanical garden tours (self and private guided)
- Promote educational excursions with emphasis on community outreach
- The cultivation of tropical botanicals, fruit, and hardwood orchards
- Fruit and flower stand
- Production of taro or ti plants and continue the production of the Ginger products line
- A B&B with overnight accommodations
If you really think outside of the box, the topography of this property could be conducive to a zip line. Run it from the top of the property to the lower areas by the pool. Call it a “Zip and Dip.” The opportunities are only limited by ones imagination.
In 2008, this property was appraised for over $7 Million dollars. This appraisal included the 2 bedroom cottage on site with ocean view – there also are two other building sites on property – the business operations, plant inventory and value, and the historical features that are of a significant cultural value.