With 2015 over, it’s time for the year-end report on what’s been selling and what’s for sale in the year ahead. The Makawao region includes the towns of Makawao, Haliimaile, and the surrounding area in between, Baldwin Avenue above Paia, and also Olinda, which lies above Makawao town proper.
There’s a real country feeling in the Makawao area, and the small town vibe is still very alive. It’s easy to raise cattle and horses here, and not unusual to see a cowboy riding through town. This is where Maui’s rodeo events and polo games are held each year. So if you’re part of the horsey crowd, you’ll find yourself loving life in Makawao.
Home Sales in Makawao, Maui in 2015
- 53 total sales ranging in price from $300,000 to $3,750,000
- The low price of $300,000 was for a fixer-upper, small, old plantation home on a third acre. A cash buyer snapped it up.
- The high price of $3,750,000 was a gorgeous luxury estate on 24 acres, with a house and cottage and panoramic views. A cash buyer made a full price offer and closed the sale after 129 days.
- Average sale price of $679,350 and median sale price of $529,000
- Days on Market varied from 29 to 342, which includes the time during escrow
- Lot/land size was all over the place, from 4,108 square feet up to 24 acres. 27 properties were on less than half an acre. Only 1 was over 5 acres.
- 9 properties were bank owned, priced between $329,000 and $768,374
- None were short sales this past year
- 5 were residential condos, and 3 of these were bank owned homes in the same subdivision
Baldwin Avenue in front of Maunaolu Plantation subdivision
What’s For Sale Now in Makawao, Maui?
- 30 total residential listings priced from $349,900 to $12,800,000
- 15 Active and 15 Pending, with the highest pending price at $2,300,000 in Maunaolu Plantation
- 4 are bank owned REO listings, all priced under $600,000 and 3 of them are Pending
- 4 are potential short sales, all priced under $650,000 and 3 of these are Pending
- Half the properties are on lots of less than half an acre. 3 are very large parcels with 35 to 70 acres and well suited for an equestrian estate.
- DOM varies, but the median is 63 days
Trees and blue skies in Makawao, Maui, HI.
Georgie Hunter, R(S), e-Pro
Direct: 808 283-0635