Between sleek architectural designs with panoramic ocean views to overly large acreage plantation estates, let’s explore what millions of dollars can get you across Kauai, Hawaii. As of October 2018, I present the 10 most expensive residential homes for sale on Kauai.
10 | Kahili Beach Estate, Seacliff Plantation, Kilauea | $13,500,000
2170-C Makana Ano Place | MLS 618817
Kilauea proves time and time again a favorite getaway for celebrities, and this home shares its Aloha with many of them. What the celebrities and I love about this 6-acre private sanctuary:
- Former home of prominent architect, Elliott Rosenblum
- Direct beach and river access
- 1,000-ft. driveway into your 4,395 sqft. of indoor/outdoor living
- 5 bedrooms with direct lanai access
- 44-ft. saltwater lap pool
- Balinese stone soaking tub
Seacliff Plantation is a gated community located between the town of Kilauea and the Kilauea Lighthouse. Kilauea sits in the heart of Kauai’s North Shore at the northernmost point of the State. It is home to the historic Kilauea Lighthouse, National Wildlife Refuge, and Kilauea Lighthouse Village – the North Shore’s newest commercial development in over 40 years.
9 | Haena Point, Tunnels Beachfront, Haena | $14,000,000
5-7542 Kuhio Highway | MLS 621606
Haena Point serves as the perfect gateway between “Mauka” (Mountains) and “Makai” (Ocean). This quiet retreat offers:
- 9 acres of property – the most land area offered in Haena in 9 years
- 100s of beachfront footage on Tunnels Beach
- Golf green & bunker practice area designed by American Golf Course Architect, Robert Trent Jones Jr.
- Custom home offered for the very first time
Haena is the last community before reaching Ke’e Beach – where lies the end of the road and Na Pali Coast trail. Post a major island flood event in April, homes and beaches past Hanalei have become inaccessible to the public; however, if you’re interested in viewing this home, Contact me as vehicle passes are required.
8 | 3047 Kahalawai Street, Kukui’ula, Koloa | $16,000,000
3047 Kahalawai Street | MLS 611978
This is currently the most expensive home for sale in the esteemed Kukui’ula community. Property highlights:
- 1.46 Acres, the largest acreage offered in the exclusive Kahalawai neighborhood
- 7,900 sqft. under roof
- Designed by world-renowned architect, Bing Hu
- Tasteful interior design by Hawaii’s top designer, Mary Philpotts
- 5 bedrooms, each with ensuite bathrooms
- Private outdoor showers
- Large lanais and seamless indoor/outdoor living
- Private guest house
- Multiple pools
- Yoga pavilion
- Beautiful zen gardens
Nestled on Kauai’s South Shore in the pristine Kukui’ula Community lies a breathtaking setting with a wealth of resort amenities. Just minutes away are the Shops at Kukui’ula where you can find fine dining, fresh boutiques, and a bustling community.
7 | Pavilions, Seacliff Plantation, Kilauea | $16,250,000
2445 Makanano Ano Place | MLS 622093 | Courtesy of Re/Max Kauai
Living large comes easily in this grand Pavilions estate. Ocean, waterfalls, and sunsets, are only what nature has pleasantly provided. On this compound you’ll find:
- 5,100 sqft. of indoor/outdoor living space
- 8 artistically landscaped acres
- 2 additional home sites
- Hard-surface tennis court
- Separate guest house
The Seacliff Plantation has 48 building sites ranging in size from 3 to 10 acres. It is situated at the foot of Nihoku, an extinct volcano locally known as Crater Hill, and above Kahili Beach and Kilauea Bay. As an owner, you receive exclusive access to hiking and equestrian trails in the National Wildlife Preserve.
6 | Wailana Mālie, Anini Beachfront, Kilauea | $16,750,000
3626 Anini Road | MLS Coming Soon
Aptly named after the “quiet waters” of the Anini lagoon, Wailana Mālie is a truly timeless Polynesian estate. What we love:
- +/- 240 linear feet of beach frontage
- +/- 1,300 sqft of covered lanai areas
- Designed by Anderson Collier Architects
- Constructed by Kauai’s number one builder, Randy Weir Construction
- Main House – 2,737 sqft., 3 Bed | 3.5 Bath
- Guest House – 500 sqft., 1 Bed | 1 Bath
Anini is home to Hawaii’s largest coral barrier reef. Since the protective reef provides year-round calm water, many are able to enjoy the numerous ocean activities including, boating, swimming, snorkeling, fishing, windsurfing, and biking. Anini Beach is conveniently located between the town of Kilauea and Princeville.
5 | 5380 Weke Road, Hanalei Bay Beachfront, Hanalei | $16,900,000
5380 Weke Road | MLS 619195
Kauai’s most expensive beachfront listing is located on Hanalei Bay in the North Shore. Besides the coveted, surreal location, what else makes this home special?
- Incredible Views and World-Class Surfing, literally at your doorstep
- Two County-licensed vacation rentals (average rental rate of $2,345 a night)
- Main House – 3,500 sqft., 4 Bed | 3 Bath
- Guest House – 2,000 sqft., 2 Bed | 2 Bath
- Views of waterfalls pouring out of the Namolokama Mountain
Voted as “The Hippest Town in Kauai” by VOGUE, Hanalei has officially hit the map. Arguably the Most Beautiful Beach in Hawaii, Hanalei Bay boats a 2-mile stretch of White Sand and 3 Beach parks. The Bay is surrounded by what seems to be hand-chiseled emerald mountains, flowing white waterfalls, and a resort-free environment.
4 | Running J Farm, Pali Namahana, Kilauea | $18,000,000
2801 Kauapea Road | MLS 619190
Rich with contemporary textures, design, and emotion, this masterpiece infuses New York upscale taste with Kauai’s relaxed natural beauty. What wow’s me:
- 14 acres perched above Secret Beach
- 5,800 sqft. main house
- Generous wine cellar
- Private guest house
- Upscale barn
- Resort-style pool/spa
- Meticulously landscaped gardens
3 | Hale Kakiu, Kilauea Farms, Kilauea | $19,000,000
4228 N. Waiakalua Street | MLS 617045
Large land offering at nearly 22 acres with a breathtaking, private view. This is one to look more closely into…
- 2,238 linear square feet of pristine ocean bluff bordering the practically untouched Waiakalua Beach
- Rinse off in your private waterfall
- Access the Secluded Beach for a dip by walking or driving
- Ocean views from essentially every room, even the pool and spa
- Extensive native plants & landscaped gardens
- 4 Bed | 4 Bath; 4,458 sqft. of living space
2 | Anini Kai, Anini Vista, Kilauea | $24,900,000
4262 Anini Vista Drive | MLS 617202
Anini Kai — this North Shore’s “Hollywood-esque” estate overlooks Anini Beach and the mountains surrounding Hanalei. Jaw-dropping features include:
- Designed after the iconic St. Regis Hotel
- 11,159 sqft. with 6 bathrooms
- Luxury 5-star, red-carpet theater
- Impressive wine cellar
- Marble bridge crossing a Koi Pond
- Infinity and indoor pool
- Sand-bottom spa and a man-made sandy beach for the “keiki” (kids)
- Gourmet outdoor kitchen with pizza oven
- 5,000 sqft. indoor car showroom
1 | Hale ‘Ae Kai, Kilauea Gardens, Kilauea | $70,000,000
Known as Hale ‘Ae Kai, or “Where the land meets the sea,” this estate is not only Kauai’s most expensive home on the market, it is the most expensive offering in all of Hawaii. Interested? What I love:
- 15-acre compound spanning an ocean bluff on Kauai’s North Shore
- The licensed vacation rental can be yours for a nightly basis averaging $8,000
- Inspired by Balinese architecture, the main house is composed of 4 pavilions, each connected by covered breezeways
- Private walking path down to Secret Beach
- Main house – +10,000-Sqft. – 4 Bed | 6.5 Bath
- Caretaker’s cottage – 2 Bed | 2 Bath
- 1,600 sqft. infinity pool & spa
- Operating farm — coconuts, citrus, extensive orchards, and exotic palms.
Where are these Expensive Homes?
In conclusion, 9 out of the 10 homes are located on Kauai’s green and lush North Shore. More definitively, 7 out of the 10 homes are located in Kilauea. Read my blog about the Kilauea Real Estate Market.
North Shore Ocean View Properties at Significantly Lower Prices?
Check out our team’s current North Shore listings. As your local North Shore experts and one of Kauai’s top-producing and most reputable teams, we have over 35 years of experience to guide our clients in making sound and smart decisions.
Keeping up with Kauai & Christian:
Want to stay up to date with these properties or others on our beautiful island?
What’s Your Hawai’i Life?
Sharing the Love
I got married here on Kauai in June to my husband, Derek, and want to share the loving experience with you! Check out my beautiful Kauai wedding. If you’re getting married on Kauai, contact me and I can point you in all the right directions!