Updating your Maui home to appeal to potential buyers is a great way to add value and command the price you want. However, many of us are not the do-it yourself type (myself included!). Most homeowners struggle with hiring a qualified contractor. I can’t tell you how many times a client has asked for a recommendation for a contractor. It doesn’t have to be difficult, just follow these five easy steps:
1. Referrals and Research. Ask your fiends and family if they have worked with any contractors and had positive experiences. Search online for contractors in your area. Look for recent reviews from their customers. Do this for any referrals you’ve gotten through friends or family also.
2. Documentation. Ask your contractor to provide current licensing and insurance information.
3. Work Samples. Ask for examples of projects similar to yours. Once a contractor has started, it is frustrating to find out that they are having problems due to lack of experience with your type of project.
4. Job Site Crew. Ask if the contractor will be working on the job. Some contractors sell the job, but don’t do any of the work. That is okay as long as they have an experienced work crew and are tight on quality control.
5. Communication and Professionalism. Is the contractor easy to reach by phone or email? Do they do a good job of answering questions, explaining costs, and deadlines? Are they professional? If not, continue your search.
Following these five easy tips will make the selection process easier and help you find a qualified contractor for your project.
Recommended Maui Contractor
If you’re planning a home renovation, you may want to consider speaking with Gabriel Krueger here on Maui. Gabe has been completing building projects, big and small, for over 17 years. He is the owner of Island Independence Construction. For more information, call 808-250-2527.