The other night I found myself tussling through the refrigerator determining the evening’s meal. It’s a common occurrence for all of us. What has become unusually normal, is that I caught myself mid-sentence speaking out loud to my beloved nine-year-old Mastiff Diesel who was camped out on the opposite side of the refrigerator door. I caught glimpses of him as I was clumsily darting around gathering food items. He was sitting there poised and looking right at me. It was just the two of us. It was like he understood every word I was saying?! I hadn’t noticed that his favorite rope was lying right in front of him. At the moment I wasn’t sure if Diesel wanted his food, or, to play his favorite game of ……FETCH!
Point being is that there isn’t anything we wouldn’t do for our pets. We unconditionally love them as they love us. Pets are family.
Over the years of working in real estate, I’ve been grateful to meet buyers and sellers who seek properties that will not only meet their needs, but their pets needs. For example, many dog owners will hold high marks for condos that are on ground floor and offer some immediate green space. In knowing that there are plenty of condominium developments on Maui, it’s rare to find condo buildings that allow pets. It’s a matter of finding the right condo that suits you and your pets needs. If looking for a single family home, it can sometimes come down to simply finding the right amount of fenced-in green space. Whatever your lifestyle or type of property you seek, you’ll find it here on Maui!
Here are a few resources that I’ve found helpful in living a pet-friendly lifestyle with Diesel here on Maui! Whether you’re moving here with your pets or looking to adopt, just know you’ll never be disappointed with the amount of love they provide.
- Maui Humane Society – The Maui Humane society is incredible! This is where we picked up Diesel. Such an incredible facility and staff. Don’t think twice to visit them for your new pet, or, volunteer or donate!
- Veterinary Care – I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the incredible amount of quality veterinary care here on Maui. There are several that will even do at home visits! Here is Dr. Dewey the owner of At-Home Animal Clinic in Kahului that has proven to be an incredible choice for Diesel. It’s also great that she does home visits!
- Parks – The great thing about Maui is that there is no shortage of parks to walk your pooch and watch sunsets. One of the best sunset watching parks in north/central Kihei on Maui’s south shore is Maui Sunset Condos. Just an incredible flat green space that attracts other dog lovers. There are others oceanfront parks along Maui’s shorelines.
- Relocating Pets to Maui – It is a requirement that pets go through a quarantine process prior to entering the Hawaiian Islands. Here is a quick link of details: Pet Quarantine
- Flying Pets – It seems over the past several years, domestic/international airlines have listened to pet owners about providing more of a white glove approach to pet transport. Look at your favorite airline to see what measures they have made to providing a more full service ‘white glove’ approach to their pet air travel.
If you find that you and your pets are looking to FETCH your ideal home here on Maui, I’d welcome the opportunity of visiting with you and narrowing down qualified pet-friendly properties. Warm aloha from Maui!