Kohala by the Sea: What You Need to Know
Kohala by the Sea residents are active in the community, and for 12 years, Kohala by the Sea has earned national recognition as part of the Firewise Communities program for their efforts to reduce their risk to wildfire. Kohala by the Sea is one of only 33 communities in the entire nation that has maintained this status for more than a decade, and their efforts have garnered accolades and awards from the governor, mayor, county council, and national organizations.
Kohala by the Sea is just across the street from the blue Pacific
Located just a few miles North of Kohala Coast resorts and Kawaihae with its restaurants, white sand beaches, and harbor, Kohala by the Sea hugs the coastline on the mauka (mountain) side of Akoni Pule Highway, and the neighborhood’s elevation ranges from 200′ to 500′ above sea level. With just 73 house lots in this gated community, neighbors know each other and there is a real sense of pride. This distinguished neighborhood was thoughtfully designed so that nearly every home has incredible ocean views.
View from MLS# 620856 Each lot has a specified building envelope to protect view planes and consider privacy
CCRs (Codes, Covenants, & Restrictions) & Property Value
Kohala By The Sea HOA protects and enhances property values through their CCRs. The Kohala by the Sea HOA has given great care and consideration to a variety of subtle design rules pertaining to elevation, privacy, lot sizes, and view planes. Here are some of the ways that your real estate investment is protected through CCRs within Kohala by the Sea:
- Each of the 73 custom home sites in this community has a specific building envelope to help protect view planes and privacy. Every property was designed to take advantage of ocean views (and the Kohala Coast ocean views here are brilliant!)
- Building height limits further ensure your ocean views are protected and won’t be blocked by future construction.
- House lots are at least an acre in size. The design rules specify that home floor plans be single level, unless otherwise approved by the design committee, and no less than 2,000 square feet not including lanais and outdoor spaces. This means you have privacy, space, and don’t have to contend with stairs.
- By design, every home within Kohala by the Sea includes a two-car garage and two additional guest parking spaces are provided to each lot owner.
- Certain varieties of trees are not allowed and trees aren’t allowed to block neighbor’s views. Residents are encouraged to plant native Hawaiian plants that are suited to the local environment.
Thoughtful Design Committee at Kohala by the Sea
When custom home sites first became available in Kohala by the Sea, they quickly sold out. Over the past decade or so, property owners have slowly been building on their home sites. Most of the home sales are now resales rather than custom home sites, but vacant home sites are still available. If you plan to build your own home, you’ll have to submit your plans to the Kohala by the Sea Design Committee. You can review Kohala by the Sea’s Design Rules on the Kohala by the Sea community website.
To Top It Off: Sunsets, Ocean Views, Whale Watching, and Convenience
Kohala By The Sea is a perfect place to enjoy massive ocean views, experience daily sunsets and enjoy seasonal whale watching from the comfort of home! This gated residential neighborhood is also convenient to nearby, world famous Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani and Hapuna Beach Hotel Resorts and their white sandy beaches, shopping, and restaurants.