Triathlon training year round in Hawaii starts to enter the minds of many athletes this time of year. As cold weather hits the mainland, triathletes nationwide are shoveling snow from their driveways, heading into gyms for endless hours of spinning classes, running on treadmills, and swimming in chlorine-infused, indoor pools.
While they are dreaming of year round training possibilities, Hawaii residents are brushing sand off their feet after an open water swim on the Ironman course in Kona, or sipping a delicious fruit smoothie after a long bike ride or run in perfect balmy, sunny conditions.
Swimmers prepare for a morning swim at the Kona pier (Photography by vip-wedding-hawaii.com)
Whether you are a professional triathlete or an amateur that loves the sport, the Big Island is a perfect place for your year round training grounds.
Make it Fun with Training Groups & Clubs
1. The ‘Pier Group’ is an informal group of aquatic enthusiasts who love ocean swimming, triathlons, and sports. They meet in the mornings for group swims at the pier in Kona and swim on the Ironman course. There are also masters swim programs in Kona, Waimea, and in Hilo.
Hawaii Cycling Club's team time trial
3. The Queen Ka’ahumanu Triathlon Club is another great way to meet up with friends and make new training partners. They put on a variety of swim, bike, and run events to help you stay in top shape all year long.
4. The Big Island Running Company in Kona offers group runs on Saturday mornings, and also sponsors many running races throughout the year that take you to all areas of the Big Island.
Triathlon Training in Hawaii Keeps You Race Ready Year Round
Sean “Peaman” Pagett is a local icon in the triathlon and racing community in Kona. Each month Peaman puts on free fun swim/run races covering a variety of distances that start and end at the Kailua-Kona pier.
Peaman finish line at the Kona pier
Triathletes of all ages come together for his themed races like the Peaman ‘Splish-Splash and Superbowl Shuffle’ Biathlon in January, or the ‘Post Pigout Peamanaia’ in November. The Team Mango triathlon race series club offers multi sport races throughout the year; these are for all ages and abilities.
It’s Race Day Throughout the Year in Hawaii
It’s no secret that the islands are home to many premier triathlons, but you don’t have to wait for October for the Ironman World Championships. Each island offers a variety of races throughout the year to meet everyone’s needs.
Xterra World Championships on Maui
Here’s a list of just a few that will keep you racing 365 days a year:
- Waikiki Roughwater Swim
- Honolulu Marathon
- Xterra Mountainman Triathlon
- Maui Marathon
- Xterra World Championships
- Lavaman Triathlon
- Ironman 70.2 Triathlon
- Kona Marathon
- Keauhou Triathlon
- Kona Ironman World Championships
- Ultraman World Championships
- Tri Lanai Triathlon
If you’re ready to pack it up and move to Hawaii to live your dream, feel free to call me. I’d love to talk to you about living and training for triathlons in Hawaii year round.