Whaler on Maui – Why You Should Take Advantage of Buying a Studio Unit
August 2014, 2 more Whaler condos sold! I helped buyers to purchase unit #162 at the Whaler, located in tower 2. This unit is a ground floor studio unit that had been nicely remodeled. There are many advantages to owning a studio unit as well as a ground floor unit. The other unit that sold in August 2014 was #1170, located in tower 1, it is a 1 bed, 2 bath unit, 905 sq.ft. This unit was not remodeled.
There are several reasons you should not only consider, but take advantage of buying a studio unit at the Whaler on Maui:
1. Studios can be larger than some one bedrooms. In the Whaler condominium complex the units are very large; a studio unit at the whaler is as big or bigger than some one bedroom units at other complexes. This studio unit, for example, is 523 sq.ft. I just sold another unit at a nearby complex that was a one bedroom and was smaller at 506 sq.ft. So, when you are shopping, do not let the fact that it is a studio deter you from looking when you are ready to buy. Keep all your options open.
2. Studios usually cost less to buy and have lower maintenance fees in comparison to larger units in the same complex. Maintenance fees are usually based on square footage. So when you are looking to buy a condo in a specific complex, you may be looking for a one bedrooms, but you may have several options in size.
3. Buying a studio is also a great stepping stone for getting into a complex. You can make it more efficient by putting in a Murphy bed, to open up the living space during the day. Some of the Murphy beds today are beautiful pieces of furniture. There are local companies as well as mail order to purchase one. Even Costco carries them now online, saying they will ship to Hawaii for an extra shipping fee.
4. Studios work great for vacation rentals because you can draw a variety of demographics, they can accommodate couples and families by using a sleeper sofa, or a cot for kids or extra guests. It is more practical than a hotel room because you normally will have a kitchen or kitchenette in condo studios where a hotel will not. Studio condos will appeal to budget travelers too because it gives them the option to stay for less money in a nicer complex.
Ground floor studio units seem bigger than those higher up
5. Ground floor studio units are ideal. The advantage of a ground floor condo is that the lanai, which is already very large at the Whaler, seems even bigger since it flows out into the grounds. It also gives you the ability to have two entries and exits into the unit, instead of having to go into the building and through interior hallways to access your unit.
Why Buy at the Whaler?
The Whaler itself is a great complex after having been completely renovated. A two tower high-rise complex, sits right on Kaanapali Beach with many restaurants and shopping locations within easy walking distance along the beachfront walk.
With the incredible grounds and the oceanfront pool, the Whaler is a very popular vacation resort. It has a front desk, which is managed by Aston resorts. If you would like your unit managed by a full service management company, it is available, but you are not required to use the front desk to manage your unit. There are many local property management companies as well as other options to manage your unit yourself.
Here are active studio listings at the Whaler:
If you are interested in selling, buying, or having someone manage your Maui vacation rental, please contact me.