Honolulu Skyline Changes with Demolition & New Construction in Ala Moana-Kaka’ako
On Oahu, in the area between Honolulu and Waikiki, construction cranes seem to be everywhere lately with pounding noises, massive trucks, and all causing a slowly changing skyline! Old making way for the new and much may have been sparked with the potential 20 mile Oahu rail system, which just might be built many years from now.
The last stop planned is Ala Moana/Kaka’ako, before returning back up to the Ewa area of the island. Whether that actually happens or not, there has been major discussion on the planned redevelopment of Kaka’ako for years.
Kaka’ako Real Estate – Changing & Still in High Demand
Demand continues to be high with current condominium sales moving steadily, often quickly. This location is superb for anyone having the desire or need for a place with close proximity to:
- Big City Provisions
- Oahu Parks & Beaches
- 2 Major Honolulu Shopping Centers
New Honolulu Condominium Developments
- The Collection recently began selling units, a 43 story building with urban style townhomes located on Ala Moana Blvd.
- The Symphony condominium Owner-Occupant reservations announcement was recently held.
- The brand new One at Ala Moana has started, a unique condominium planned so conveniently and totally slated for the Oahu luxury market, it is located on top of the Nordstroms Store parking building.
(L-R) the Hawaiki, Nauru Tower, Waihonua (getting higher), Hokua, and the Ko'olani
- Waihonua, located in between the Ward Centers complex and the Ala Moana Shopping Center, is a whole super block of highrise condominiums and is one of the newest. It is getting taller each week in between the Hawaiki, Nauru Tower, and the Ko’olani condominiums. The Hokua, Pacifica Honolulu, and the striking Moana Pacific twin towers have all been featured in my previous Talk Story articles.
New Additions & Changes to Oahu Shopping Centers
The Ward Centers, with its dual section of shops and movie theaters, is getting a new, fresh look – new buildings and updating planned areas to allow for a village feel with more walking and biking.
Meanwhile, the world renowned Ala Moana Shopping Center has been re-modeling within their lower level areas. Changes to the Ala Moana Shopping Center include:
- Well underway with the demolition of a whole section where the old Sears building was located
- One entire upper level of parking has been literally hauled away in huge trucks (detours abound for cars and shoppers)
- Another level of previously used parking is being used to hold a massive crane and construction materials
- Total changes are forthcoming with Bloomingdales (another prestigious department store anchoring that end of the Mall)
- ‘Whole Foods’ is planning to open there along with many new shops
Noted in the photo above is the Uraku Tower – one of the original ‘luxury designed’ condominiums with seldom a unit available to purchase for it is primarily occupied by Owners – with superb upper floor makai (ocean side) views of Magic Island and the Ala Wai Boat Harbor.
How are the New Changes Affecting Local Businesses & Residents in Kaka’ako?
Kaka’ako does not have many individual houses; if there, they seem to have rental activity. Primarily an area of commercial and industrial businesses, many dating back into the early Territorial Days, however, in sections inland, low rise residential rental buildings are still everywhere.
View toward Ala Moana and the super block – areas destined to change
Many of the business owners in the industrial areas realize they may be in the path of progress. A cover Story by Duane Shimogawa in the Pacific Business News noted (in their September 6th, 2013 issue) that Kaka’ako’s future is being shaped by owners of small parcels of land – not just big developers. Time will tell how all this mix will work out, but meanwhile, new opportunities arise and Honolulu condos continue to sell out almost immediately.
View toward Honolulu – lower right, across from Blaisdell arena, now a parking lot – will be the new Symphony condo
How to Find a Helpful Hawaii Realtor
With all the inventory available on Oahu, I am sure there is one that may be just the right style and mix for you. It is an exciting time here on the island of Oahu. If you have been considering or needing to make a move to Oahu – keep in mind, especially if you are desiring a brand new property – you might consider having personal representation rather than a Developers office.
Hawaii Life Real Estate Brokers can help with your Hawaii home search and has real estate offices on all the major Hawaiian islands. In discussing and purchasing Hawaii property, you need an unbiased opinion and professional assistance, especially if you are from “off-island” and are not aware of the various aspects of property ownership here in Hawaii.
Contact me and I will introduce you to the Hawaii Realtors who know the particular market the best. Wherever or whatever you are considering in Hawaii – on any of the islands – Hawaii Life Real Estate Brokers is there and dedicated to assisting you in your search.
If interested, already here in Hawaii, or just online…let’s “Talk Story” (a term for ‘friendly and casual communication’) to discuss what your needs are, and what you have in mind for a wonderful home in Hawaii. I look forward to hearing from you. Don’t hesitate. Let’s find the best Hawaii home for you!
With warm Aloha,
Talk Story #60