Last week I posted top resort property picks for my clients looking to buy a single family home along the Kohala Coast, either within a resort or in one of the nearby gated communities. We toured Mauna Lani Resort, Mauna Kea Resort, Kohala by the Sea, Kohala Ranch, and Puakea Bay Ranch. An established vacation rental was a plus, although depending on the price point they might also not bother with renting. We looked at homes listed up to around $3.5 million.
Hereʻs a summary of what we liked at the gated communities up the coast from the Kohala resorts, and why.
Oceanfront gated community Puakea Bay Ranch near Hawi has a small park for whale watching
Puakea Bay Ranch – Big Homes, Big Views, Near Hawi
My clients were willing to consider homes within a 60-minute drive to Kona Airport, which took us as far north as Hawi in North Kohala. The gated community Puakea Bay Ranch appealed to them for several reasons:
- 10-acre lots afford the privacy they desire
- CC&Rs require homes of at least 4,000 sq ft while allowing some diversity of architectural style
- The orientation of the lots makes it easy to have a house with ocean and Maui views from most rooms
Puakea Bay Ranch home floor plan brings the outdoors in (MLS# 291772); offered for $2,675,000
In the property itself, they wanted a good flow both inside the home and indoor/outdoor, and a pool large enough to swim laps.
This Puakea Bay home with 4 bedrooms and an office in the main residence, plus a detached 1 bedroom guest house by the pool, had all that and some other pluses:
- Remodeled kitchen
- Large covered lanai on both main house and guest house adds 3,454 sq ft to 5,031 sq ft of interior living space
- Photovoltaic system reduces electrical bills to almost zero
- Warm interior finishes
Kohala Ranch Summit – Largest Lots at the Community
The gated community Kohala Ranch is closer to both the resorts and Waimea/Kamuela than Puakea, and offers lot sizes from 3 to over 10 acres. The largest lots, comparable with Puakea, are in the section known as the Summit.
The Kohala Ranch property that stood out is an established vacation rental that functions almost like a mini-resort on its 12-acre site, with swimming pool, tennis court, and even a sauna inside the home.
Kohala Ranch Summit residence with pool, tennis, and sauna; asking $3,295,000 (MLS# 295864)
What we liked about this home:
- The elevation gives sweeping ocean views down the Kohala Coast towards Kona and north towards Maui
- Although it has over 6,000 sq ft and 5 bedrooms, the layout allows a couple visiting by themselves to use a modest part of the home
- Remodeled kitchen with 100-bottle wine cooler
- Established fruit orchards and gardens
Kohala Coast Resort or nearby gated community? Which would you choose?
A hui hou,
Beth Thoma Robinson, R(B)