COVID19 UPDATE
Oahu

Why Photos Matter – Smart Marketing Case Study on Ilikai Condos For Sale

Today, I decided to update my gallery of Ilikai Condos for Sale. As you’ll see, there aren’t too many there. Why? It is because even though I am a Realtor, I also think like a consumer and want to see more photos of a property. So, I decided to include only the ones where the primary photos showed something unique.

Generic MLS photo of Ilikai building exterior used by over 50% of active listings

So often in marketing you hear about a USP (Unique Selling Proposition). Why is it then that 9 out of 17 active listings (over half) at the Ilikai have the generic MLS photo of the building as their primary photo for all marketing?

  • Is it because the agents don’t care?
  • Is it because the agents are lazy?
  • Is it because the agents don’t know how to upload new photos?

In my opinion, none of these are excuses. If a seller hires you to sell their property and are paying you thousands of dollars in commissions, why wouldn’t you get the best possible photo up there for the primary photo? After working with hundreds of buyers, time and time again they tell me they skip over looking at properties with no photo, 1 photo, or the ones that have generic photos.

For example, if you were online looking for real estate (where over 90% of consumers are) and see the photo above on over half the listings, then see one like this below, which one would you take a closer look at?

This Ilikai listing (MLS# 1112757) is a great example of an agent who “cared”

This one above not only had a better primary photo, the remainder of their photos were done with effort and consideration. Now, this one below is an example of my last listing I had at the Ilikai.

Building exterior shot on my last Ilikai listing

I am not saying an exterior shot is the way to go for a primary photo, however, I do recommend choosing something that is unique and not so “cookie cutter” like over half the listings out there. The idea with a USP is to engage the consumer and convince them why your listing is the best one.

In a competitive building with 17 listings on the market, which one do you think will sell first? Here’s a hint: Of the last 19 sales at the Ilikai, only 3 (16%) of them sold with the generic photo example I used above. The other 84% that sold used a photo that was unique to their listing.

This case study is just one small example of Smart Marketing that Hawaii Life offers. If you are interested in learning more about how we List Property Properly, we are here at your service.

Comments (4) Show CommentsHide Comments (Remember)

Cool. Add your comment...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your Email address will be kept private, this form is secure and we never spam you.

Matt

December 26, 2011

This is classic. Do any of them have photos of toilets, or the door to the unit? I’ve always wanted to host a contest for the worst MLS photo ever… we might have to on Facebook.

Matt

December 26, 2011

This is classic. Do any of them have photos of toilets, or the door to the unit? I’ve always wanted to host a contest for the worst MLS photo ever… we might have to on Facebook.

David Buck

December 27, 2011

@Matt – I saw some a few months ago here on Oahu where you could see the rear view mirror and door frame of their car. They didn’t even get out of the car to take the picture…

David Buck

December 27, 2011

@Matt – I saw some a few months ago here on Oahu where you could see the rear view mirror and door frame of their car. They didn’t even get out of the car to take the picture…

More Articles from Hawaii Life