Relocating to Kauai – Things to Know About Pets, Permits, and Important Phone Numbers to Get You Started
Relocating to beautiful Kauai is both exciting and challenging! One question I’m always asked is, “what do I need to bring that I can’t buy on Kauai?” There is only one answer that I give and that is, “if you can’t buy it on Kauai, you don’t need it.” Life is much simpler here and you will find you need a lot less than you think!
Once you have decided to move, it will help save you time and frustration if you begin early making all the necessary preparations—particularly important if you are planning to move to Kauai with a pet. Hawaii has strict guidelines on the types of animals that are allowed (not all are) and the quarantine requirements for relocating pets.
In 2006, the Kauai Humane Society was awarded the contract with the State Department of Agriculture to provide receiving, inspection, and release services at Lihue Airport for pets arriving from the mainland.
Now, you can fly direct into Lihue and not have to travel through Honolulu when bringing your pets with you. It does, of course, require that you do all your homework beforehand in order to qualify your pet for the state rabies quarantine requirements. You may view these in detail here.
If you are planning to build or remodel your Kauai property, here are the things you will need to know about the County of Kauai Permit Process:
Obtaining building permits for a home on Kauai may take you to 6 county departments and one state agency. Here are the phone numbers for each, in case you need to reach them for more information:
- County of Kauai Building Division at Dept. of Public Works: (808)-241-4854. In most cases, the building department controls actual construction issues such as framing, electrical, plumbing, heating, and ventilation.
- County of Kauai Planning Department: (808)-241-4050. In most cases, the planning department manages zoning: minimum lot size, how much of the lot can be covered by a building, whether dwellings can be single or multi-family, clearances between the building and the street, side yards and rear yard, etc.
- County of Kauai Department of Water: (808)-245-5400.
- County of Kauai Engineering Division, Dept. of Public Works: (808)-241-4883. In most cases, the engineering department takes care of things like streets and roads, flood zones, sidewalk and curb and gutter, storm drainage, lot drainage, and other lot and street issues.
- County of Kauai Division of Waste Water Management, Dept. of Public Works: (808)-241-6610.
- County of Kauai Fire Department: (808)-241-4980.
- State of Hawaii Environmental Health Services, Dept. of Health: (808)-241-3323.
(Source: Kauai Data Book, H&S Publishing, LLC. 1995-2003. Carey, M. and J. “Getting a building permit—a scary proposition?” The Garden Island, May 15, 2005.)
Once you arrive on Kauai, I’ve made a list of the phone numbers that you will find helpful. Tuck this list away as it will save you time locating all of these.
Turning on your Utilities:
- Cable/Satelite Services: Oceanic Time Warner Cable (808)-643-2100
- Cell Phone Carriers: We have many, so you have choices!
- Electric: Kauai Island Utilities Coop (808)-246-4300
- Gas: The Gas Company (808)-245-3301
- Telephone Land Line: Hawaiian Telcom (808)-643-3456
- County Water: Department of Water (808)-245-5430
- Princeville Water: Princeville Utilities (808)-826-3040
Other State and County Services that you may need:
- Bus Services: The County Kauai Bus (808)-241-6410
- Hawaii Drivers License: County Driver’s License Office (808)-241-4242
- Kauai County: County Offices (808)-241-4903
- Marriage Licenses: (808)-241-3498
- Newspaper: Garden Island News (808)-245-3681
- Passport Services: (877)-487-2778
- Pet Registration: Pet License Tags (808)-332-7315
- Social Security Office: (800)-772-1212
- State of Hawaii: Government Offices (808)-586-2211
- SunShine Markets: Market Days and Places (808)-241-4946
- Vehicle Registration: County Vehicle Registration (808)-241-6577
- Visitor Information: Kauai Visitors Bureau (800)-262-1400
- Voter Registration: (808)-241-6350
You have chosen one of the most beautiful places in the world to call home. My sister and I work as a team committed to helping our clients with their real estate needs. Should you have questions or need assistance, you can reach Ilona at (808)-635-1495 or Lucy at (808)-651-5676. We look forward to helping when you need real estate services.
Aloha and Welcome to Kauai!