There is always a demand for homes on acreage near Hawi, North Kohala…especially ones with big ocean, sunset, and Maui views. And as the inventory of homes for sale at the lower North Kohala gated communities of Kohala By the Sea, Kohala Waterfront, and the lower Heathers section of Kohala Ranch dwindles to nothing, more prospective buyers will look 10 minutes up the coast to Puakea Bay Ranch and perhaps even around the corner towards Hawi.
Oceanfront park at Puakea Bay Ranch where homes on 10 acres have sunset and Maui views
There are only three homes currently for sale at the oceanfront gated community Puakea Bay Ranch, and they represent a wide range of asking prices:
- $1,499,888 for (MLS# 261712), a 5,668 sq. ft. home with 3 bedrooms in the main house and 2 bedrooms in a separate guest house.
- $2,300,000 for (MLS# 263355), 6,464 sq. ft. house with 5 bedrooms.
- The Puakea oceanfront estate (MLS# 232548), which just had a price increase to $14,950,000.
Price Reduction on Puakea Bay Ranch Home with Guest House
Listed 18 months ago for $2 million, at just under $1.5 million for over 6,000 sq. ft. of living space, the lowest priced home at Puakea Bay Ranch is priced to sell.
Now priced to sell at $1,499,888 after price reduction, ocean view home with guest house and pool
What to know about this home:
1. Built in 1989, like many of the homes in the Heathers section of Kohala Ranch, the style and features reflect its period: sunken living room with wet bar and lava rock features, for example.
Most buyers will choose to update the kitchen (bathrooms have already been done); replace the regular sliders with a Nano-wall system; refinish the wood flooring. At this price you have room to spend what you need to bring finishes to what today are considered “luxury.”
2. The bones of the house are excellent. It has a ground floor master and two large suites upstairs in the main house, plus two bedroom sharing a bath (but each with its own WC) in the guest house.
3. Big ocean views…and unlike most lots at Puakea Bay Ranch, this one is square rather than long and skinny, which means less chance of someone building where you can see.
4. Although not on the market, the adjacent square 10-acre lot is vacant. I can imagine a buyer taking both and adding horse facilities, or creating a more extensive family compound.
I have many more photos of this property (MLS# 261712) than what the listing agent has posted – and a virtual tour. Contact me directly if you are interested in seeing them.
Price Reduction on Hawi Estate with Guest House, Gated but not a Gated Community
Once you turn the corner from Puakea Bay Ranch heading towards Hawi, there are not many homes on acreage with SUNSET views, as the homes are more north-facing than west-facing.
I am smitten with this property on the drier west side from Hawi town, with almost eight acres backing up to huge acreage that makes it feel like more. Its north-west orientation is such that the home has expansive ocean views…and you can “see the ball drop” into the ocean at sunset, at least part of the year.
Side view showing lanai and sun room…designed for indoor-outdoor living to enjoy the views (MLS# 262740)
I wrote more about this home when it fell out of escrow, but here’s a summary of what to know:
- Built in the same era as the Puakea Bay Ranch house, again most buyers will find certain elements need updated. That being said, it is in move-in condition.
- The gate house is well separated from the main house, so could be used for a caretaker by a part-time owner, and/or a long-term rental to offset holding costs.
- The bones of the house are similar to the Puakea house in that there is a downstairs master and two more bedrooms upstairs, each with its own bath. There is also a suite off the garage that the current owner used as an office for a home business…and it also has a full bath.
- No pool on this property…but plenty of room to add one. I kind of like a spot lower on the property where there is currently a garden shed that might be transformed into a sweet pool house.
- Another property that would be super for horses or other animals…or keep the great lawns mowed for a country estate feel.
If you seek privacy and don’t want to deal with CC&Rs or homeowner’s associations, (MLS# 262740) might be the right property for you. Now reduced from an asking price of $1,795,000 to $1,600,000.
I live 5 minutes from both of these properties, and am happy to answer questions about the Hawi lifestyle.
A hui hou,
Beth Thoma Robinson R(B)
Don’t forget you can subscribe to my blog posts at pb.hawaiilife.com !