Poipu, Kauai Update: Dollar For Dollar Best Value In Oceanfront Condos
South Kauai is home to the Mahaulepu Valley – which leads directly to Mahaulepu Beach. You won’t find oceanfront condominiums or hotels on this area of pristine undeveloped coastline, yet this area is a popular place to spend the day for area residents and visitors. Tip: Make sure you depart before sunset as the cane haul road has a gate that is locked overnight.
Ready to take the leap and move to Poipu to enjoy the resort life? Please continue reading for my opinion of the top 5 best values in Poipu oceanfront condominiums currently on the market in sunny and laid back Poipu.
Secret Beach at Mahaulepu
JJ’s Top 5 Picks For Oceanfront Poipu Condos For Sale (June 2016)
To qualify the list, I searched for all active listings in oceanfront condominium resorts in Poipu. All of these are legal to vacation rent. A lot of the lower priced “oceanfront” condos are in buildings at oceanfront resorts which are set back behind other buildings with garden or partial ocean views (e.g. the Makahuena Condominium on Pee Road). None of these made the list because, for the purpose of the oceanfront list, the emphasis is on being up close and personal with the ocean – views, sounds, marine life. A couple of my client’s property listings made the top 5. Am I shamelessly self promoting my own listings? Yes I am promoting them, but not without merit.
1. Kuhio Shores at Poipu Unit 101 (MLS# 293485) – This 1 bed/1 bath/732 sq.ft. foreclosed condominium (REO) is owned by Fannie Mae (Federal National Mortgage Association) and is the lowest priced Poipu condo which offers this good of a view. No pool, swim in the ocean. The Kauai County Tax Assessor 2016 assessment of this property value is $596,600. The listing price at 90 days on market is $525,000. The interior is ready for remodeling.
2. Kuhio Shores at Poipu Unit 410 (MLS# 292142) – Unlike unit 101 above, this 2 bed/2 bath/953 sq.ft. condo is beautifully remodeled with quality finishes, and sold fully furnished. Unit 401 is situated at a preferred location facing full oceanfront for winter whale watching, year round sea turtles, and impressive sunsets. Kuhio Shores is adjacent to Beach House Restaurant. The listing price is $980,000.
3. Whaler’s Cove at Poipu Unit 134 (MLS# 293703) – Top floor view unit, there is a beautiful oceanfront pool onsite. While there is a ground floor unit at a lower listing price, it has an inferior view to this beautiful 2 bed/2.5 bath/1,231 sq.ft. condo. Ideally situated to capture both sunrise and sunset views, the listing price is $1,435,000.
4. Poipu Shores Unit A403 (MLS# 292141) – Fully furnished top floor penthouse (there’s an elevator), beautifully remodeled 2 bed/2 bath/912 sq.ft. condo near Poipu Beach, Brenneke’s, and Shipwrecks. The swimming pool is amazing! It’s built into the rocky coastline. The listing price is $880,000.
5. Poipu Shores Unit B301 (MLS# 290275) – Only one of the full oceanfront current listings boasts 3 bedrooms and this is it! Huge oceanfront lanai is a big selling feature. Priced to sell and ready for some updating, the 3 bed/2 bath/1,027 sq.ft. condo completes my top 5 list. The listing price is $834,500.