PCS to Hawaii: House Hunting Readiness

Stop! Before the movers pack your last box, be sure you keep with you everything you’ll need at your new duty station.

When moving to Hawaii, you’ll have three options:

  • Buy a Home
  • Rent a Home Off-Base
  • Rent a Home On-Base in privatized housing

If you’re considering buying a home, you’ll need to make sure you keep a few important documents with you, not stuck in your household goods shipment. The first step in home shopping, while the least exciting, is the most necessary. You’ll need to speak with a mortgage lender to find out what kind of loan you’re qualified for, and for what amount, so you know your budget.

Having a lender’s pre-qualification letter in hand when you look for a home is necessary, so you can act quickly in this busy market. If you’re PCS-ing, it’s likely you’ll qualify for the VA Loan benefit, which on Oahu allows you to borrow up to $721,050 with no cash down payment.

In order to be pre-qualified for a loan, you’ll need the following items:

  • W-2 Forms for the past two years (These may be accessed via the MyPay system.)
  • Last 2 months LES Forms
  • Power of Attorney, if any party to the purchase will not be present
  • Bank Statements
  • Tax Returns for the past two years

Also, the ability to take photos or video of the properties you visit is helpful, so don’t pack the camera!

Comments (0) Show CommentsHide Comments (Remember)

Cool. Add your comment...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your Email address will be kept private, this form is secure and we never spam you.

More Articles from Hawaii Life