Oceanfront Properties Along the Big Island’s Sunset Coast (From Puako to Keauhou)
Finally, there is some selection in the oceanfront market from Puako through Keauhou. Changing times are leading us to a market where owners of legacy properties are a bit more enticed. Less regal properties are being offered now as well.
21-acre, 4-taxkeys oasis of white sand beach, protected lagoon, and rich history
The most fantastic oceanfront property now on the market is a 21-acre, 4-taxkeys oasis of white sand beach, protected lagoon, and rich history. If you ever wanted a place on a white sand beach to call home…then be prepared to meet your new reality. “Truly a rare opportunity” cannot be stated more clearly in reference to this property.
Walk 10-minutes south along the beach from Anaehoomalu Bay at Waikoloa Beach Resort until you reach old beach shacks overlooking the lagoon. The property sits near the border where the South Kohala and North Kona districts meet. It is accessible by vehicle down a private road off of Queen Kaahumanu Highway.
Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. (MLS# 265176)
Ruins of an old Hawaiian village are buried under Keawe trees to the South. The clash between Hawaiians and the Fair American took place in nearby waters off this stretch of coast. (Different accounts place the encounter as far south as Ka’upulehu, or as far north as Puako.) A 3-masted schooner petroglyph is carved in the lava bank here, perhaps memorializing this event.
Oceanfront Homes For Sale
1. Oceanfront Puako just got better, too, with a price reduction of $400,000 at 100 Puako Beach Drive, from $2,600,000 to $2,200,000, a much more reasonable price for this tear-down property. It is now in line with recent Puako vacant land sales.
100 Puako Beach Dr. (MLS# 257993)
2. Best priced resort home, actually only true oceanfront resort home, is at Kolea Kai in the Waikoloa Beach Resort. First listing incarnation in 2009 at $8,750,000 was a bit ambitious, it is now smartly priced at $5,995,000. Expect to see this sold soon given the dwindling inventory and improved value at this price.
69-1059 Kolea Kai Circle at the Waikoloa Beach Resort (MLS# 257650)
3. Another unique property is the 2.95 acre estate at the north point of Keauhou Bay where it is rumored John Wayne married his wife Pilar. Stately trees shade park like grounds here which include a functioning private dock at this richly historic setting of Keauhou Bay.
78-120 Holua Rd., Keauhou (MLS# 263319)
Years ago, when personal estates dotted the Keauhou Bay shores, private docks were common. More recently it claims its fame as a repository of a Vladimir Ossipoff designed home.
This home was designed with the lighting, breezes and the ambiance of this place in mind. The existing home may need updating, but the benefit of the property consisting of two Taxkeys gives one the latitude to build a new home privately situated away from the existing home. Pool, pool house, and tennis courts complete the package.
Active Oceanfront Condos
The oceanfront condo list must be interpreted a bit more broadly than the other lists. Oceanfront condos translate to oceanfront condo “projects.” Some of the units listed may not really be oceanfront, although they are in an oceanfront project.
- Hali’i Kai 8A (MLS# 267028) is not a direct oceanfront unit in Waikoloa Beach Resort, but its views make it feel pretty close.
- This Mauna Lani Terrace Unit A204 (MLS# 264944) is one of the few 3-Bedroom condos you will find in Mauna Lani so close to the water.
- South to Kona, a new listing of a Keauhou Kona Surf & Racquet Club #3301 (MLS# 267296) seems very reasonably priced at $699,000.
Oceanfront Properties For Sale Along Hawaii’s Sunset Coast
Check out the lists below to see the oceanfront properties for sale along the Sunset Coast. Call or email when you have the time to talk real estate.