It’s 2020, so why not make your New Year’s resolution to organize, declutter, and make your “home sweet home” a place you can see more clearly?
Where To Start?
As a Certified Home Stager and Redesigner, I not only assist sellers in preparing their homes for sale, but I also work with homeowners in all aspects of decluttering and organizing.
Here are some quick, helpful do-it-yourself tips:
- Take one room at a time. Don’t get overwhelmed going from room to room. Your garage that has been the throw-to place will take longer than your clothes closet, but basically, the need is the same.
- Make 3 piles:
- Set a time limit on how long those piles will remain in that room. More than a week is too long, and your attempts at decluttering will be for nothing.
- Do not get tempted to go down memory lane by those photos you threw in a drawer. Place them in the “Storage” pile, and once you are done decluttering, you’ll enjoy them in the comfort of your organized, relaxing home.
- Whether storing at home or renting a storage container, be sure to use plastic storage bins. This prevents bugs, moisture, and damage from leaks.
- Always label the bins. This way, you’ll remember what you put in them! When I pull out my Christmas decorations, I have my bins labeled with not only its contents, but also what room it goes in. This makes for a quick set up!
Keep It Organized
Now that your home has been decluttered and you have a new sense of place, try to keep it that way:
- Everything needs a designated place or “holding area,” as I call it. Whether it be your mail, the kids’ homework or toys, briefcase or musical instrument, groceries or cleaning supplies, laundry, shoes and backpacks — getting into the habit of putting items in their holding area as soon as possible will prevent clutter from building up.
- Before cleaning your home, take the time to go through your home and put everything where it goes. This will make cleaning a breeze!
Have a bigger project you need help with? Reach out to me via email or phone and let’s get you started seeing everything in your home more clearly in 2020!