Are you a first time home buyer in Maui County? If so, you may be eligible, if you qualify, to receive a $15,000 grant to help with your down payment or closing costs. I don’t know about you, but I’d be interested in some upfront cash to close on a home.
These are the provisions of the First Time Home Buyer’s Grant Program:
- The maximum grant amount is $15,000.
- Eligible properties include single-family detached dwellings, multi-family dwellings, residential lots with plans to construct a single-family detached dwelling, and Homestead leasehold properties under the jurisdiction of the DHHL.
- The grants will be secured by a lien in favor of the County and shall have a term of 15 years from the date of purchase.
- Grants must be repaid if one of the following events occurs during the 15-year term: grantee refinances the first mortgage loan and takes out cash, grantee no longer uses the property as a principle residence, or the borrower sells the property.
To qualify for a grant, the applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a resident of the County of Maui at the time of the application, be a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and be at least 18 years of age.
- Agree to occupy the property as the applicant’s principle residence.
- For the taxable year prior to and during the year of the application, have a household income of 140% or less of the County’s median annual income.
- Shall not have a 50% or greater interest in a fee simple or leasehold land suitable for dwelling purposes of at least 3 calendar years prior to the date of application submitted.
The County Housing Division will administer the program and the applicants will be selected through a lottery drawing process. A letter of pre-approval from a mortgage lender authorized to do business in Hawaii must be submitted with the completed application/lottery card.
The applications can be obtained from the County Housing Division Administration office at 35 Lunalilo Street, Suite 102, Wailuku, HI. 96793. You may request an application in the mail, or call them at 808.270.7351.
The deadline to return the completed application/lottery card and pre-approval letter is 4:30 PM, July 29, 2011. The lottery is scheduled for August 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM. 20 applicants will be chosenÂ and the remaining applicants will be alternates should any of the first 20 applicants fail to meet their obligations or grant qualifications.
If you need additional information on this program, contact me.