We attended the Kona Chocolate Festival and it was a big hit with almost 500 in attendance at the Keauhou Beach Resort. Through the participation of more than 18 chefs, chocolatiers, and catering companies, event attendees consumed over 14,000 tasty tidbits of chocolate confections! The festival is a fundraiser, but also designed to support cacao growing and the chocolate industry in Hawaii.
The Kona Chocolate Festival encourages the participants to place their entries into the Chef and People’s Choice Competition. A sequestered panel of judges sampled each entry and awarded points in the categories of appearance, flavor, degree of difficulty, and creativity. The attendees also had a chance to weigh in by casting their vote for their favorite dessert or appetizer of the evening.
Here are the winners:
People’s Choice Award
- Kealakehe High School – Rocky Road Cake Pops
- 1st Place: Konawaena High School
- 2nd Place: Kealakehe High School
- 1st Place: Tommy Bahama
- 2nd Place: Captain Cook Baking Company/A la Scoop
- 3rd Place: Mahina Mele Farms
- Kimberly Hall-Food Fusion
1st Place Raw Chocolate
- Sky Kubby-Medicinal Foods Hawaii
Professional Special Mention
- Thirteen Palms