Once upon a time, there was a family that lived in Southern California looking out at the Pacific Ocean but surrounded by highways. They felt something was missing and wanted to find a better spot to raise their children.
One morning, they decided they would sail around the world. They stopped in Hawaii to be near the surf on the North Shore of Oahu. They enjoyed living on the beach, but it didn’t feel safe for the kids both in the water and out, and they couldn’t find a home with a garden.
Upcountry Maui Living
They moved on to Maui where they found a big home up on the mountains with rolling hills and beautiful views (similar to MLS# 369241). This was it! Here they were self sufficient…they had found the meaning of life!
Everyone was happy and the kids thrived. They made dishes out of clay and sewed their own clothes. But the parents were exhausted at the end of the day after taking care of the animals and tending the garden, and they never made it to the beach. They also realized the neighbors were growing different kinds of herbs that weren’t so great for the kids to experiment with.
The author with her dog, Toro, and some chickens living off the grid in the ’70s, Upcountry Maui (Photo credit: John Severson)
So they dematerialized and moved to a surf hut on a remote island where they lived minimally (similar to MLS# 367167). This seemed like the dream life for a few years, but they became disenchanted with the absence of books or art supplies in the one-bedroom hut. Toro, the family dog, wandered off. When one of the kid’s mosquito bites needed urgent medical attention, they realized it might be better to live near a town.
Molokai surf shack in need of some repairs
After more traveling, they finally found goldilocks living in a wonderful pet-friendly complex with a swimming pool and clubhouse in West Maui. In these condo complexes, kids can ride bikes around the neighborhood without the parents organizing a “play date.” Teenagers have a social life. Mommy can go for coffee or hop over to the Cultural Center to see an ‘80s band with her girlfriends. Daddy can fish out front. Many condos have a garage where he can tinker. And Toro will be happy on the back porch. The airport, good education, and medical help are nearby. Plus, all the maintenance is done for you each month.
Paradise found at Alaeloa (Photo credit: Brent Schlea)
Another possible ending to the story would be in Puamana in Lahaina, Maui: 30 acres of shared property with three swimming pools and a beach with surf out front.
Puamana (MLS# 371895)
Tips For Happy Maui Living
Once you are living happily on Maui, here are some tips to get your groove back:
- Take kite surfing lessons with a buddy. You will need at least three or four lessons before going alone: Alan Cadiz/HST: 808.871.5423
- Pick your own veggies for lunch at the O’o farm in Kula: 808.667.4341
- Jump off Black Rock at Ka’anapali (in front of the Sheraton)
- Learn to Surf with Bully’s Surf Ohana…Already know how to surf? He can take it to the next level: 1.337.423.1587
Go surfing with “Bully”
- Have a cup of Maui Grown Coffee and a homemade pastry at 277 Lahainaluna Road
- Do bikram yoga once a month or so to get rid of the toxins and really stretch out…next to Foodland in Lahaina: bikramyogalahaina.net
- Eat fresh Maui veggies from the Napili farmers’ market Wednesdays and Sundays
- Get some health bread at the French Bakery at 991 Limahana Street
- Listen to some live music at the Cultural Center: 808.242.2787
- Get some fishing tips from Doug at West Maui Fishing Supply near Foodland: 808.661.6252
- Drink fresh carrot juice
- Take a stand up paddle board out and look back at our island…
- Need help thinking positively? Listen to Hay House radio: HayHouse.com
Oh, and since this is a semi-fairytale, the family sold their upcountry farm to finance their condo but kept the shack on Molokai where they go for weekend surf safaris. They rent their Lahaina condo out for loads of cash when they are traveling and live happily ever after. And since there was no garage/studio space at their place in Puamana, they got a studio space up in Emerald Plaza.
Want to Know More?
For a tour of these West Side condos, or more info on living happily on Maui, feel free to contact me – or call some of the people listed above…