The primary purpose for ADUs (Bill 20 (2015)) is to increase the quantity of affordable rentals for residents. ADUs are allowed on residential zoned lots (zoning codes R-3.5, R-5, R-7.5, R-10, and R-20) as well as country district lots which are 1 acre or larger*.
If you’re interested in finding out if your property is ADU eligible, these links will be of service. Many of these links come directly from the Honolulu Department of Planning and Permitting Office website:
- ADU Quick Guide – find out how to get started
- ADU Frequently Asked Questions
- Ohana / ADU Pre-Check Form
- Identify your zoning district
- How big is your lot? Check your tax parcel
* Star Advertiser “Accessory Dwelling Units Zero in on Housing Woes”, Nov 20, 2015, D1-D2.