Growing up on Maui allowed me to see many earlier developments rise up in front of me. Some of the earliest complexes in the North Kihei area are Kauhale Makai, Maui Sunset, and Menehune Shores. I’d pass those construction sites on my way to work at the original Azeka’s Store. Yes, the one with the snack shop attached, and the monkey cage.
Koa Resort is old school Hawaiian style to me!
There really was a monkey cage with a monkey in it. If you are a long time local, you know what I’m talking about…however, I digress. I moved off island in 1977 to go to the University of Hawaii at Manoa, and unfortunately, was not on island to see one of my favorite developments being constructed. It is…Koa Resort! It was built in 1980 and here are a few reasons why it is one of my favorites:
1. Most older complexes are situated on large parcels with expansive grounds and walkways. Koa Resort does not disappoint in that aspect. 5 buildings on 5.63 acres.
2. The newer complexes are more dense in terms of units per square feet of land. Koa Resort has 45 units on 5.63 acres.
3. The complex has a more relaxed, informal look.
4. Koa Resort has all the amenities one could ask for: pool, spa, gazebo, tennis and shuffle board courts.
5. Its sister development, Maalaea Surf, sells for 2-3 times the price of comparable units! (Full disclosure: Maalaea Resort is oceanfront and Koa Resort is across the street from the ocean.)
Koa Resort Unit 4J
I am representing a unit for sale at Koa Resort. It is unit 4J. Building 4 is located on the Kulanihakoi Street side and is a second floor loft unit and is in the center of the building. The property is listed at $478,900 and is a 2 bed, 2 bath in 1,066 square feet.
Koa Resort Unit 4J (MLS# 372367)
The kitchen is open with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. The living area leads you out to a large garden view patio. Koa wood walls and ceiling are a few touches that wouldn’t be easy to reproduced.
The master bedroom is loft style with lots of light. The master bath has a tub/shower, granite countertop, and lots of storage.
The loft-style master bedroom
The second bedroom is also light-filled and is next to the full bath with a stall shower and a granite countertop.
Light-filled second bedroom
A washer and dryer is located in the unit
Other highlights include LED lighting throughout, ceiling fans, split A/C with 3 zones, new electric panel, 2 unassigned parking spaces, and additional storage. The complex allows for vacation rentals and the unit is sold fully furnished.
Want to Know More?
I hope this tour has shown you a little bit of why I feel that Koa Resort is a unique property and one that would be hard to replace. Please contact me for additional information or for a private showing.